Thursday, December 7, 2017

What's Happening in Honduras

  Right now my mother's home country, Honduras, is suffering. And I haven't seen any news about it in American media. If it weren't for my brother who lives there sending me videos about the destruction, I would have remained clueless. I hopped on Twitter and searched 'Honduras' and there were pictures, videos, and tweets coming from Hondurans begging for help from anyone willing to listen.
   What's happening is that the former president seems to have bought the election, and people want the truth, they want the real results. The election happened a week ago and no winner has been declared. The people want transparency and the former president doesn't want to give it them. The people have begun rioting as a result, looting businesses, putting churches and homes on fire. People have been dying. A 19 year old girl was shot dead while looking for her brother by the police who are loyal to the former president. There was a curfew in place that restricted people from being out from 6 am to 6 pm. Anyone who violated this would be shot dead. I saw a video that showed two military police dragging the body of a dead person across the road.
  13 people have been confirmed dead.
   And I've barely read anything from American media. The only news I have heard come from my family in Tegucigalpga and San Pedro Sula, the two places that were actively being destroyed from rioters and military police. Luckily my family remains safe as they stay indoors at home, but others have not been so lucky.
  Why isn't there more media coverage about this? Because it's just a small, third world country? America meddled in Honduran government before, but now, when my people need help, they stay silent. We only have Trump tweeting out his usual crap, and no help to these people who desperately need it.
 Racism is still alive and well; we all know that. But this is truly heartbreaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment